Re: [LUG] TV Card recomendations

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hmm,

Probably so I can watch TV on my computer, However I hardly really watch tv these days, so if I go for a capture card, can I plug a vcr / dvd player in and watch dvds/videos, and perhaps transfer tape to dvd, hence I can reduce a large number of pre recorded tapes I have lying around.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yes to all the above. I have my capture card plugged into my video permenantly and the video into my cable box, so I can watch whatever channels on TV and (as you mentioned) reduce the volume of VHS cassettes lying around.

The downside for me is that my current card doesn't work in Linux so I'll be watching this thread with interest. I've not tried them yet, but apparently the Leadtek Winfast series are supposed to work in Linux and the specs look like they give good performance as well :) They're available from www.ebuyer.co.uk . What I would suggest is pick a card you like the look of and then Google for the same card and Linux. That should back up the suggestions we give you here :)

For example it looks like the Winfast VC100 XP card works after a kernel patch for 2.6.11* kernels. £20 inc VAT less delivery.

Kind regards,

Julian