[LUG] Creating animated GIFs?

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good app for creating animated GIFs? I
had a search on FreshMeat, but couldn't find anything useful.

What I actually want to do is text which fades in and out. I know I could use
The Gimp, but wouldn't that mean creating each layer manually, which would
take ages?

And before someone says it, I know GIFs are patented and evil :-)
But this is for web use and MNG isn't supported by all browsers...

Any suggestions appreciated!

David.

--
David Johnson