Re: [LUG] Whereis nfslock?

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:37:09 +0100
Simon Waters wrote:

but I can't find
any packages on packages.debian.org that relate to "nfslock".

"apt-cache search nfs lock" would suggest amongst others nfs-common. The
spiel for nfs-common says it contains the lock daemon.

Yep, got nfs-common.  As I understand it, I wouldn't be able to share on NFS if I
didn't have it :D

Anyone got any ideas how to do nfslocking so that I can mount NFS
shares?  I'm so close that it's frustrating!
Link: http://www.thursby.com/support/faq.lasso?id=196

Kernels 2.4 and later don't need a specific lockd daemon they start a
kernel thread - or so the nfs-common start-up script claims on Debian
Sarge (/etc/init.d/nfs-common).

Running Sid, but the script would appear to be the same.

If you have a bespoke kernel this might be a problem, otherwise I
suspect your problem is something else.

grants:/home/gsewell# uname -a
Linux grants 2.6.10-1-k7 #1 Fri Mar 11 03:13:32 EST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

Try
"rpcinfo -p IPAddres_of_server"

grants:/home/gsewell# rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.2
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    391002    2   tcp    955  sgi_fam
    100024    1   udp    857  status
    100024    1   tcp    860  status
    100005    1   udp    870  mountd
    100005    2   udp    870  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    873  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    873  mountd
    100003    2   udp    828  nfs
    100003    2   tcp    830  nfs

To see what RPC services are registered. I think nlockmgr is what you
need to see, if that is there it is not this problem I suspect.

As you can see, no nlockmgr.

The Debian box is probably working fine, it is pretty easy to set up NFS
on GNU/Linux. Try using "showmount" to check the exports are correct.
Also use the rpcinfo command to see if there are firewall issues or similar.

grants:/home/gsewell# showmount -d
Directories on grants:
/mnt/iso

grants:/home/gsewell# showmount -e
Export list for grants:
/mnt/cdrom2                            <anon clnt>
/mnt/cdrom                             <anon clnt>
/mnt/iso                               <anon clnt>
/mnt/files                             192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
/home/gsewell/Mail                     <anon clnt>
/home/gsewell                          <anon clnt>
/home/gsewell/files/docs/Courses/Cisco <anon clnt>
/home/gsewell/files/docs/College_Stuff <anon clnt>

grants:/home/gsewell# showmount -a
All mount points on grants:
dell:/mnt/iso
knoppix:/mnt/iso

Not quite sure what -d or -a do, but there we have it.

I am pretty certain that there's no firewalling issues - both machines are on the
same Green network, both within the same subnet, the IP addresses are statically
assigned by DHCP, and when the Mac boots into Debian I can successfully mount the
remote share in question as RW.  I am beginning to think that the issue is not with
my NFS setup.

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.