Re: [LUG] Fax/Voice server software

Neil Stone wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:
| Hi folks,
|
| I've recently aquired an old IBM Aptiva P2-266 PC.  Since its a low spec
| (and the fact I already have too many PCs in the house!) I've decided to
| turn it into a fax server.  It already has Windows 95 with fax software
| included but I'd rather use Linux on it, and I'd also like to be able to
| send/recieve faxes and voice mail messages from any of the computers on
| my network (mixture of WinXP, Suse 9.2 and MacOS X 10.2).
|
| I was wondering if anyone could suggest such a package which would be
| suitable for this?
|
| The main feature I want is to be able to send and receive faxes, but if
| I can get it to answer the phone too and collect messages and e-mail
| them to me then that would be good too.
|
| The PC spec is a P2-266, 384MB 66MHz memory (hence why I haven't swapped
| it out into my main server), 4GB IDE hard drive, CD-ROM (unknown speed,
| 32 speed I think), ATI Rage 8MB on board video card and a 56k ISA modem
| (I'm not sure if it is a Winmodem or not, but I have a spare 33k ISA
| modem lying around too).
|
| I'm also wondering what sort of distro would be suitable for this spec
| of machine, I don't think I'd be running KDE or Gnome on it, and if I
| was it would only be remotely once in a while.
|
| Rob

Asterisk would be my first choice...

Asterisk would do all of this, but...

a) It's *really* picky about modems. The X100P analogue card is the only single line one for which drivers are available, and it doesn't support UK CLID. You can, however, buy one for Â9.99

b) There's something of a learning curve.

That said,

It'll accept faxes and distribute them via email.

Ditto voicemail.

It'll turn each of your PC's into a SIP phone.

I'll handle extensions.

It's as flexible as a flexible thing.

jd

--