Re: [LUG] Slight confusion over updating Debian Sid!

On Monday 25 April 2005 11:23 am, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:58:05 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:
Any thoughts as to why these machines seem so out-of-sync?  As I said,
they're both looking to the same mirrors!

But they are not the same locally.

It makes no odds really, you can let dist-upgrade proceed and you'll end
up with the same system. If you want the reassurance of a similar package
list on each, each must be updated and upgraded before the dist-upgrade
command.

OK, I thought that "apt-get dist-upgrade" was a 'safer' option than simply
"apt-get upgrade".

It is, if you let it do it's thing.

The reason I don't use cron for this purpose is that on occasion "apt-get
dist-upgrade" has said that it'll remove packages that I really don't want
it to remove,

dist-upgrade is only done once. You upgrade from stable to testing and if you
want to from testing to unstable. That's it. It can downgrade too, but it
only moves you between the distributions, it is NOT suitable for everyday
upgrades.

apt-get update
Gets a new package list for each mirror you use - keeps you up to date with
the mirror. Must be done before any apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade.
Should be done regularly or even apt-get install will have problems.

apt-get upgrade
Upgrades all installed packages to the same version as the most recent apt-get
update. On unstable, do this daily. On testing, maybe weekly.
It does not remove packages without confirmation even when used via cron-apt.
upgrade DOES upgrade ALL packages, don't think that upgrade is selective and
dist-upgrade is system wide.

apt-get dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade is ONLY to move between stable and testing or testing and
unstable (or stable direct to unstable) and vice versa.

so I am happier just running it myself ever now and then.
Would a simple "apt-get upgrade" (instead of "apt-get dist-upgrade") solve
this?

No. Use cron-apt to run apt-get update apt-get upgrade - that's it.

Grant.

--

Neil Williams