[LUG] Re: Networking SUSE9.2 and Windows XP

Have been trying to set up home network. 2 computers, 1 suse9.2 the other
windows xp, connected by a cross over ethernet cable using basic
samber/swat settings. I can see the suse machine from the xp machine, but
not the windows machine from the suse one.  I assume there is something I
need to do to the windows box,  (I have set up shares on home folders.
Can any one offer advice?

Yes..

Typically this is caused by firewall settings on the Windows XP machine.
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic for a LUG.

Make sure that the IP address range you're using for your home network is
excluded from the firewall. If you're using the default Windows Firewall,
just add this IP range to the list of exclusions (see the extensive help).
If you're using a third-party firewall (as you should be, because Windows
firewall is very limited) check the settings for your network interface
adaptor and that the IP address range for your network is excluded from
the firewall.

This usually works. If in doubt, disconnect from the internet, then
disable the firewall completely on the XP machine. You should then be able
to ping it from the SUSE machine.

Jeremy