[LUG] Gnome keyboard problem

I'm using Gnome 2.6 on Slackware 10.1 on a Packard Bell iGo-4451 laptop.

To get either a " or a ' I need to press the key twice. Even then, when
I'm writing code in (say) Python, the interpreter doesn't see " as an
ASCII double-quote, but some bizarre unicode character, and hence won't
understand statements containing a " . it's the same for the ' character.

These keys work fine in the initial bash shell, and they also work OK in
KDE 3.4.

Can anyone suggest what's happening, and how I might fix it?

BTW: I've written this email on a different computer, hence the " and '
will seem "normal".

Thanks;
Jeremy

--