[LUG] Slight confusion over updating Debian Sid!

Hi all.

I have 3 machines running Debian Sid: desktop, laptop and a temporary server; and I
have run into a bit of a problem.  All three have identical sources.list files and
yet when I run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade" on them I get
very different results.

The two that I am concerned about is the desktop and the laptop.

I have tried to keep them in sync with each-other with regard to dist-updating, etc,
but they seem to have drifted and I'm not sure why!

I put-off dist-updating either machine for a while because it would return saying
that KDE would be removed, which I wasn't too happy about since I use KDE on the
desktop.  So, for a few weeks I hadn't bothered dist-updating anything.  I have just
tried to dist-update the desktop machine and it went through nicely without removing
KDE, but the laptop still insists on doing so:

Desktop:
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
 ardour-gtk kdepim
 dcoprss kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdict kget knewsticker kopete kpf kppp
krdc krfb ksirc kwifimanager
 ldap-utils libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libldap-2.2-7 librss1 libwine
libwine-jack libwxbase2.4 libwxgtk2.4
 libwxgtk2.4-python lisa manpages manpages-dev slapd streamripper unzip w3mir wine
wine-doc wine-utils zip
34 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 35.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 1626kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Laptop:
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
 kde kdeaddons kvim libgda2-1 vimpart
 dirmngr evolution-data-server1.2 gnupg-agent gnupg2 gpgsm gtkhtml3.6 kleopatra
libcamel1.2-0 libebook1.2-3
 libecal1.2-2 libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-1 libedataserver1.2-4
libedataserverui1.2-4 libegroupwise1.2-5
 libgal2.4-0 libgal2.4-common libgda2-3 libgtkhtml3.6-18 libksba8 libmysqlclient10
libopenct0 libopensc1 libpcsclite1
 libpth2 ndiswrapper-modules-2.6.8-2-386 pinentry-qt
 abiword-common abiword-gnome alien aptitude arts aspell-en autotools-dev
base-config bluefish clamav clamav-base
 clamav-freshclam cupsys cupsys-client dash dbus-1 dbus-glib-1 dcoprss debconf
debconf-i18n debconf-utils debhelper
 dictionaries-common discover1-data doc-linux-text docbook docbook-dsssl
docbook-xml dosfstools e2fslibs e2fsprogs
 evolution exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light fakeroot fdutils
foomatic-db foomatic-db-hpijs gaim
 gaim-data gambas gambas-doc gambas-gb-compress gambas-gb-db gambas-gb-db-mysql
gambas-gb-db-postgresql
 gambas-gb-db-sqlite gambas-gb-debug gambas-gb-eval gambas-gb-net
gambas-gb-net-curl gambas-gb-qt gambas-gb-qt-editor
 gambas-gb-qt-ext gambas-gb-sdl gambas-gb-vb gambas-gb-xml gambas-runtime gedit
gedit-common gettext gettext-base gftp
 gftp-common gftp-gtk gftp-text gimp gimp-data gksu gnome-gv gnome-keyring
gnome-media gnome-volume-manager gnumeric
 gnumeric-common gpdf grub gsfonts gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-smooth
hicolor-icon-theme hotplug hpijs ifupdown
 initrd-tools inkscape iso-codes kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy karm kcoloredit
kde-amusements kde-core
 kde-devel-extras kdegraphics kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdenetwork
kdenetwork-filesharing kdepim kdepim-kfile-plugins
 kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kdict kdvi kfax kgamma kget kghostview kiconedit
kitchensync kmail kmailcvt kmrml
 knewsticker knode knotes kolourpaint konsolekalendar kontact kooka kopete
korganizer korn kpdf kpf kpilot kpovmodeler
 kppp krdc krfb kruler ksirc ksnapshot ksvg ksync ktnef kuickshow kview kviewshell
kwifimanager libapr0
 libasn1-6-heimdal libauthen-pam-perl libavcodeccvs libbio2jack0 libblkid1
libboost-python1.32.0 libc6 libc6-dbg
 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libc6-pic libc6-prof libclamav1 libcomerr2 libcupsimage2
libcupsys2-dev libcupsys2-gnutls10
 libcurl3 libexpat1 libexpat1-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libgadu3
libgail-common libgail17 libgda2-common
 libgdk-pixbuf2 libgimp2.0 libgimpprint1 libgksu1.2-0 libgksuui1.0-0 libglib2.0-0
libglib2.0-data libglib2.0-dev
 libgmp3 libgnome-keyring0 libgnomecups1.0-1 libgpmg1 libgssapi1-heimdal
libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common
 libgtk2.0-dev libiw27 libkcal2a libkdenetwork2 libkdepim1 libkgantt0
libkleopatra0a libkpimexchange1
 libkpimidentities1 libkrb5-17-heimdal libkrb53 libkscan1 libksieve0 libldap2
liblocale-gettext-perl libltdl3
 libmimelib1a libnspr4 libnss3 liborbit0 liborbit2 libpostproc0 libpq3
libqt3-compat-headers libqt3-headers
 libqt3-mt-dev libqt3c102 libqt3c102-mt librss1 librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
libruby1.8 libsane libscrollkeeper0
 libsensors3 libshout3 libsigc++-dev libsigc++0c102 libsmbclient libss2 libsvn0
libtheora0 libtidy0 libtiff-tools
 libtiff4 liburi-perl libusb-0.1-4 libuuid1 libxft-dev libxft2 libxml2
libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 locales login lpr
 manpages manpages-dev module-assistant modutils mozilla-browser mozilla-calendar
mozilla-firefox mozilla-js-debugger
 mozilla-psm mozilla-thunderbird mplayer-586 mplayer-686 mplayer-doc mutt nano
ndiswrapper-source ndiswrapper-utils
 netapplet nfs-common openoffice.org openoffice.org-bin openoffice.org-l10n-en
passwd pkg-config planner pmount
 po-debconf portmap powermgmt-base pppoeconf printconf python-foomatic
python-gtk-1.2 qt3-designer qt3-dev-tools
 qt3-dev-tools-compat ruby1.8 samba samba-common sane-utils scrollkeeper sgml-data
sharutils smbclient smbfs tidy
 tkping ttf-opensymbol udev unzip usbutils vim vim-common vorbis-tools webmin
webmin-cpan webmin-dhcpd webmin-exports
 webmin-inetd webmin-samba wireless-tools xmms xscreensaver xscreensaver-gl
307 upgraded, 27 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 318MB of archives.
After unpacking 20.3MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Any thoughts as to why these machines seem so out-of-sync?  As I said, they're both
looking to the same mirrors!

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.