Re: [LUG] Mail server setup review

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 06:19:36PM +0100, Simon Waters wrote:

Funnily enough I'm working on two project related to this at this very
moment......

Email encryption is very complex in terms of acronyms and such, but
conceptually it is quite simple once you see past the acronyms.

<snip>

I've long had a plan to do a fully encrypted email service for road
warrior style laptop users, providing "SMTP Auth over SSL" for email
submission, "POP3 or IMAP) over SSL" for collecting, and Webmail over
HTTPS for wehn your not on your own laptop. Possibly using TLS for
server to server traffic where supported. The idea being one username
and password gets you your email encrypted as well as can be done.

Of course these days more and more ISPs are offering these anyway - and
it can all be done with "free software", I'm looking to use
Postfix-tls/dovecot/apache to do this.

But most of the cheap webhosts, do not seem to support SSL / TSL. I
stumbled across a list of "recommended sites" for IMAP that lists SSL:
http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/

I will probably have a go with www.luxsci.com, once I have learnt a bit
more.

Did that help?