Re: [LUG] Time again

Stuck "uk." in front of the server address as Simon suggested earlier in the
week (forgot to redo it after changing my ntp package) and i'm now getting
delays of less than 40 milliseconds, and also the time seems to have stayed
correct overnight.

Dave, i would point to your servers but i wouldn't know what to do to ensure i
didn't break the 300 hits per hour rule.

Anyway, thanks for all the help, fingers crossed it stays fixed this time :)

Now i can sit down and have a good read of Simon's mail on the mail setup.
From a brief scan it looked like a very interesting read!

Martin.

On Thursday 21 April 2005 23:51, Simon Waters wrote:
dave morgan wrote:
| I have no idea of typical 'good' delay figures for dialup modems.

ISDN 64kbps....

I did a quick "apt-get install ntp-simple" except it wasn't because I
needed to recreate an ntp.conf file, so it ended up being "dpkg" with
"--confmiss" to get the missing config file back - apt isn't perfect yet.

ntpq -np
~     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
jitter
=== *202.135.38.18   139.80.64.114    3 u  441 1024  377  388.252   -9.753 ~
4.565
~ 127.127.1.0     LOCAL(0)        13 l   61   64  377    0.000    0.000
~ 0.001

I picked up a server in New Zealand first time ?!

Delay terrible (well if you think about it in terms of speed of light it
isn't too bad), but offset and jitter look okay. But I did run an
"ntpdate" to get the time right first!

Repeating with;

server uk.pool.ntp.org # repeated 4 times...

I see delays around 60 millisecond, as expected if the line isn't busy
the latency of small packets used in ntp aren't affected by bandwidth
especially. Nearly all these servers were in the Netherlands - hmm maybe
we need some more volunteers.