Re: [LUG] Mail server setup review

<snip>

Fetchmail can use encryption, IF the remote server supports it. Append ssl to
the fetchmail line. This protects your password from being sniffed during the
download phase.

If your server does NOT support SSL for POP3, change! You can't afford to send

Apologies for the length of this...

Any assistance would be much appreciated: particularly if anyone knows a
good website that I can sit and read through slowly with a several large cups of
coffee....

My understanding and my problems are as follows:

a) I can digitally sign email with GPG. This is fine, it works and I use
it in Win98. Saves a lot of bother and time. Great.
http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/
Will use in Debian, once I have learnt a bit more about Debian.

b) GPG only verifies what I have written in an email (I have not been
bothered by encryption as my email program does not support it in
Win98).

c) SSL *seems* to secure:
i) The password for me to receive my email
ii) The email itself as it comes from my pop3 to me and from me to my
SMTP

Is this correct?

I am a loss however to understand the difference between SSL and SSH?