Re: [LUG] defrag, win98 and linux boot loaders

On Friday 01 April 2005 19:48, Rob Beard wrote:
One trick that I found to work on some Windows 98 PCs is to restart in
safe mode and then run a Scandisk & Defrag. ?I think normally it
restarts due to some little program running in the background which
keeps writing to the hard disk every so oftern so Scandisk or Defrag
will have to start from the beginning and re-read the disk contents.

I guess starting it in DOS mode and running Scandisk would be an even more
sure-fire way of doing it.  I have vague memories of trying to defrag and
Scandisk eventually giving up because something was writing to the disk.

Sorry I'm a bit sketchy, it's a very long time since I owned a Windows PC...

Cheers,

Jon