Re: [LUG] defrag, win98 and linux boot loaders

Paul Sutton wrote:

Ok so if windows can't see that the reason it's taking so long is because it's not been scanned or defragged in over a year. I just want to get my Fat32 file system scanned and defragged so it more efficient

One trick that I found to work on some Windows 98 PCs is to restart in safe mode and then run a Scandisk & Defrag. I think normally it restarts due to some little program running in the background which keeps writing to the hard disk every so oftern so Scandisk or Defrag will have to start from the beginning and re-read the disk contents.

Other than starting in safe mode, another way I found of getting round the problem is pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL in Windows to bring up the task manager and close each program listed.

Have you tried an alternative defrag program like DiskKeeper Lite?

Rob