Re: [LUG] Netgear WG511T & Madwifi

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:05:37 +0000
Julian Hall wrote:

Hi Grant,

Does NDIS require the card to first of all work in Windows?  If so that
would be a non-starter as the Win2K driver for the PCMCIA slot in my
particular laptop causes a BSOD.  I've emailed Compaq about that and am
awaiting a reply.  In the meantime if I can get the card functional in
Linux, Windows can......... *g*

Kind regards,

Julian

Yes, and no.
NDIS requires that you download the XP drivers for the card, not for the bus (slot).
It uses native Linux cardbus facilities, and once NDIS is installed, the wireless
device looks just like a normal Linux device (/dev/wlan0) which can be configured
with the standard Linux wireless config tools (iwconfig, etc).

It took a couple of attempts for me to get it to work because I needed to edit the
.ini files too, but all the instructions are there and are (fairly) straightforward.

It's still cheating, though :D

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.