Re: [LUG] Mandrake 10.1 Install

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 18:42, Neil Williams wrote:
On Tuesday 08 February 2005 11:38 am, Henry Bremridge wrote:
My major problem at the moment is trying to get samba working so I can
link it to my win98 machine. The problem here is trying to understand
windows networking...... (I can ping each machine but sometimes my win98
sees my debian but mostly not, if the blasted thing would be consistent
it would help...)

Windows (certainly Win.9x, possibly later) will not always recognise a Samba
machine that was started BEFORE the Windows box got past the login box.

If the windows box reboots, you may have to restart Samba (note - you DON'T
need to reboot Linux usually, just restart Samba from /etc/init.d/ as root.)

There's a message in the old archive:

http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive-old/msg00406.html
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive-old/msg00411.html

Another common pit fall is the browse master, ensure that samba is the browse
master and that the windows systems are set to "browse master no", or else
they can all fight over which one contains the list of computers on the (smb)
network.

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx