Re: [LUG] Mount points and file organisation [Was Re: [LUG] Webbrowser query...]

Julian Hall wrote:

| TBH I did (probably) the same as Anton.  When I installed Thunderbird and
| Firefox from tarball I put them both in the /home/julian directory not
| knowing at the time there was a specific place in the hierarchy they ought
| to go.

~From tarball I might do the same for a single user system, as it keeps
self built software away from parts of the system managed by the
packaging system.

Although of course Debian Sarge has packages for Thunderbird and
Firefox, so I use those.

| Having said that, it follows my old habit from Windows days of not
| letting a program default where *it* wants to go.  My reason for this is
| simply if (or when knowing my luck ;)) the OS gets hosed, by installing to
| /home/julian, which is mounted to a separate partition., I don't lose
any of
| my programs or customisation, which if I understand the hierarchy
correctly,

Your OS shouldn't get hosed nearly as often, but being designed as a
multiuser system most end user customisations are in $HOME anyway,
usually in files prefixed with a "." to hide them out of the way.

It is only the system wide settings that go in /etc (and a few other
places alas), and unless you are managing a network of similar boxes, or
a system with a lot of users, you don't generally need to customise much
in /etc.

| I would if I installed to /usr/bin etc.  Is this a correct conclusion, or
| would I not lose anything in the /usr/bin folder (bearing in mind that
IS on
| the same partition as the rest of the OS.

Just depends how you reinstall - but in general if you value it, back it
up, no matter where it is on disk. I make a tar of everything to tape
every now and then.

| If the answer is "yes I would lose it", is it adviseable to create
separate
| partitions for  /    /home   *and* /usr?  Thinking as I ask I suspect the
| answer will be "yes" but I'd appreciate expert opinion :)

I suspect most "cock ups" will wipe out all the paritions if they are on
the same physical disk, partitioning is more useful in minimising the
damage when an application or subsystem messes up.

For example when we built one of the Redhat boxes at work we had
different partitions for email queues, email boxes, websites, log files,
databases etc. That way if the email system goes mad, it shouldn't
affect any of the other systems when the email queue directory fills up.

As such multiple partitions don't gain much on end user / single user
systems. Although again if you are managing a lot of such boxes you want
to weight the chances of a failure of one subsystem, stopping everything
(out of disk space can be painful), versus the effort in managing extra
partitions (the more little partitions, the more often they fill up, but
the less that breaks when it happens).

The downside of leaving apps in $HOME is all too often they have the
wrong permissions, so could in theory become infected by a virus, or a
careless mouse action in your filemanager could move the applications
into the wrong directory, breaking your icons etc.

There is another convention in the Unix world, where an application get
put in "/opt", often with it's own user to own the files and
directories. So you'd end up with /opt/myapp/etc /opt/myapp/bin and so
on. This is very useful if you want to make the application available
via NFS to a number of servers, as you need only export /opt/myapp to
the other servers. Indeed NFS can support fail-over application servers,
where several servers all export /opt/myapp, and the client mount the
fastest responding server. This is one of the reason that many admins on
large networks insist on relocatable RPMs, which can be installed under
any hierarchy (and the application still works!), so they can install it
on application servers, or just create a partition to keep it well
seperated from the rest of the OS.