[LUG] Mount points and file organisation [Was Re: [LUG] Web browser query...]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Waters" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Web browser query...

Bad distribution management?
Or misunderstanding on your part?

I'd vote the second (sorry Anton).

TBH I did (probably) the same as Anton.  When I installed Thunderbird and
Firefox from tarball I put them both in the /home/julian directory not
knowing at the time there was a specific place in the hierarchy they ought
to go.  Having said that, it follows my old habit from Windows days of not
letting a program default where *it* wants to go.  My reason for this is
simply if (or when knowing my luck ;)) the OS gets hosed, by installing to
/home/julian, which is mounted to a separate partition., I don't lose any of
my programs or customisation, which if I understand the hierarchy correctly,
I would if I installed to /usr/bin etc.  Is this a correct conclusion, or
would I not lose anything in the /usr/bin folder (bearing in mind that IS on
the same partition as the rest of the OS.

If the answer is "yes I would lose it", is it adviseable to create separate
partitions for  /    /home   *and* /usr?  Thinking as I ask I suspect the
answer will be "yes" but I'd appreciate expert opinion :)

Kind regards,

Julian