Re: [LUG] Transplanting hard drives

David Bell wrote:

On Monday 24 January 2005 12:35, Neil Williams wrote:

?? All the routers I've ever seen come with a built-in firewall that closes
every port to access from the internet. It's a basic feature of all
routers.??

My Creative router modem (8133u-c1) has no firewall, as a result I get perfect apt downloads, but http://www.pcflank.com tell me that ports are visible on it (port 80, plus several 4 figure ports) so I hesitate to use it despite having Guarddog installed. This is with just an etho connection from my laptop without any other network.

Not a network expert myself so I'm really guessing but could it be because it is setup as a bridge instead of a router? I vaguely remember something about this in the manual for my ADSL/Router.

Regards
Andrew