Re: [LUG] New Proud Debian Owner...

Could I please have some help as to what I should try next (if need be I think I can
post the xdm and XFree86.0.log onto the net):

1/ I can get woody working on my machine: no problem. With woody I can get XWindows
working, but it is unstable (I do not have any records as to why: probably the wrong
keyboard settings, I guess)

2/ I now have sarge working on my machine: no problem.

3/ I can get KDE and Gnome working on Sarge: no problem, but if I do my machine is
real slow (PIII -366, with a 19" VX900 Gateway monitor)

3/ If I reformat but not install KDE/Gnome but instead install just XWindows and
windowmaker then when I startx and enter  my log in name and password, nothing
happens: I get kicked back out to the xdm log in screen

So, therefore I have now got a system that comprises:
- Sarge testing (no email clients, yet)
- X Windows
- Window Maker
- Firefox
- Gnome

This now boots into gnome and I can use firefox and the gnome games which is fine
but is still slow.

If in gnome I look into the XFree86.0.log then I have the following error messages
(apologies for typos as I am copying the warnings to my windows machine):

(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
No such device
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) Unloadmodule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnabledDataReporting: succeeded
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0

The xdm log has the additional following warnings:
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
: Warning Type "One Level" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the XServer

The variables I entered for X-Windows were as follows:

Mouse settings (I have a Microsoft Intellimouse PS/2 compatible, connected with a 9
pin to a serial port, through a KVM switch):
Connection: /dev/psaux
Type: ImPS/2

Keyboard settings:
Rules = xfree86
Model = pc104
layout = gb

(I actually have counted 105 keys on my keyboard but these settings at least get me
a working keyboard, if I try 105 keys then I get more error messages)