Re: [LUG] New Proud Debian Owner...

Henry Bremridge wrote:

| Could I please have some help as to what I should try next (if need
| be I think I can post the xdm and XFree86.0.log onto the net):

I think the subsequent XFree86.X.log files are where to look next, along
with other files in /var/log, and possibly You may also find some
interesting stuff in the "." files of the user whose X session is
unstable. i.e. as that user "ls -a $HOME | more"

| 1/ I can get woody working on my machine: no problem. With woody I
| can get XWindows working, but it is unstable (I do not have any
| records as to why: probably the wrong keyboard settings, I guess)

Wrong keyboard settings rarely make thing unstable, they just make it
very frustrating to type things. Woody is ancient - I wouldn't worry too
much for a desktop.

| 2/ I now have sarge working on my machine: no problem.
|
| 3/ I can get KDE and Gnome working on Sarge: no problem, but if I do
| my machine is real slow (PIII -366, with a 19" VX900 Gateway monitor)

How much memory - don't know what the minimum recommended for Sarge with
GNOME2, but I've never run it on less than 256MB. Indeed I've never run
GNOME2 on a machine that slow on a regular basis, but I have a laptop
which is only slightly faster (with 256MB), and runs it all quite happily.

Use "top" in a terminal window to see memory usage in a human format, or
brave "vmstat" to get the "full but rather complex story".

| 3/ If I reformat but not install KDE/Gnome but instead install just
| XWindows and windowmaker then when I startx and enter  my log in name
| and password, nothing happens: I get kicked back out to the xdm log
| in screen

That would probably be logged in one of the locations mentioned earlier.

| (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice No such
| device (EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device (EE) PreInit
| failed for input device "Generic Mouse" (II) Unloadmodule: "mouse"
| (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type:
| MOUSE) (II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnabledDataReporting: succeeded
| Warning: font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.Z" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".pcf.gz" already registered at priority 0
|  Warning: font renderer for ".snf" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".snf.Z" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".snf.gz" already registered at priority 0
|  Warning: font renderer for ".bdf" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.Z" already registered at priority 0
| Warning: font renderer for ".bdf.gz" already registered at priority 0
|  Warning: font renderer for ".pmf" already registered at priority 0

If the mouse is working, I think you can ignore this, I suspect it is
set to "auto" in the XF86Config4 file, and just trying one of the others
mouse types first.

| Keyboard settings: Rules = xfree86 Model = pc104 layout = gb

I've noticed in GNOME2  on Debian you have to choose the International
keyboard layout (Desktop preference, Keyboard) the first time you use
it, even though the machine has a correct XFree86 setting for country.
And may display the correct settings in GNOME2. But this just sorts one
or more of the ever irritating "£$@| key mappings IIRC.