Re: [LUG] Libranet Debian

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:34:24 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

Hi Grant

Further to last email.

PB pinged everything, Libranet nothing. I know the NIC is fine because
I installed Lindows and it worked with that! The router was recognised
by the PB so that is fine.

I know this is silly but I'll ask it anyway, can I reverse the cable?
Will that work?

Rich

Does sound very much like a config problem rather than any physical/logical problem.

Reversing the cable won't make any difference.  You *should* be using a
"straight-through" cable, but many low-end routers/switches support something called
MDIx which allows you to connect a straight or crossed cable to any port and it
functions.  Bad idea to my mind, but some people like it.  If you think it's a
physical problem (ie broken cable) then try another.

If you're unsure what cable you're using, then unplug both ends and have a look.
http://www.thymox.uklinux.net/images/cable.jpg
A straight cable should have *either* the A or the B specification at *both* ends.
A crossed cable should have an A at one end and a B at the other.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.