Re: [LUG] Libranet Debian

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:49:56 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

Hi All

Ok I'll start again! What I have now done is set it to static IP
address and installed the following:-
IP Address 192.168.0.2 (I used this because I am also connected to the
router with the Powerbook and it has connected using DHCP with that
address - I wanted to see what would happen. When I looked at the Mac
it informed that 192.168.0.2 is in use by DHCP server 192.168.0.1 and
had changed its address to 192.168.0.4)
Subnet Maks 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address 192.168.0.255
Gateway Address 192.168.0.1

It sets all this up and then asks for a DNS which I have given
192.168.0.1 because I assumed it would get its information from the
router. On My Mac this is left blank.

Let's make some presumptions (the addresses may be real, but they are
unintentionally so)

Router's WAN (ADSL/Cable) IP address/SNMask:    83.245.29.100/255.0.0.0
Router's LAN (Ethernet) IP address/SNMask:      192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
Libranet's LAN IP address/SNMask:               192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
Powerbook's LAN IP address/SNMask:              192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0

Your Router will need to have a DNS setting (although you could be your own DNS
server, for a small setup like this, it's easier to simply use your ISP as the DNS
provider.  You should have been given some addresses when you signed up).  Your
hosts should either use your Router's IP address for DNS or set them both up
individually to use your ISP's DNS addresses as well.  The former is usually more
practical.  The "default gateway/route" for both the PBook and the Libranet machine
should be the Router's IP address.  The "default route/gateway" is usually something
that is given with the IP address from the DHCP server.  If you are getting IP
addresses from the DHCP server but not the default gateway setting, then you need to
look at your router's setup.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.