Re: [LUG] Installing new software

On Saturday 08 January 2005 8:09 am, aaron Moore wrote:
Greetings
I have been trying to install inkscape onto suse 9.1.

RPM or from source?

Sounds like a dependency that hasn't been picked up by the RPM properly.

I have updated gtk
files and it seems to be installed, but when I click on the icon it just
dies.  When I run it from the shell I get:

inkscape: error while loading shared libraries:
/opt/gnome/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_type_class_add_private

You appear to be missing one of the Gtk libraries. This particular Gtk library
was available for Suse 8:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/updates/8.1/i386/rpm/i586/gtk2-2.0.6-71.i586.html
so I don't see why you're missing it with 9.1

Inkscape is not yet at version 1 which often means that problems like this
have not yet been solved.

What version of Gtk+ have you got installed?

Report a bug and see about getting some help via the inkscape mailing lists.

Can anyone offer advice on this. Is there a program like windows system
works that can scan all files for error

?? That's not going to help. You've got a program reporting the error that a
specific library is not installed. Fix the problem, don't go off on a search
for a rogue file.

Thanx in advance
Aaron

--