Re: [LUG] Firewall

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:26:30 +0000
PL-J wrote:

Hi

I have just got a router. (Binatone ADSL 2100  Etherner Router). I am very
confused about a number of things! (The good news is it is working).  However
security first.  I use Fedora Core 2.

If I had a "gateway" computer I would turn off the firewall on all the others.

If we think of a "gateway computer" as one that joins one network to another (often
the Internet), then we are actually talking about a router.  Some people are not
comfortable thinking about a standard PC as being a "router", which is daft!

I think the router is my gateway so I have turned on its firewall, and turned
the firewall off on my two computers (probably cos I had all sorts of
problems with my LAN when it was on before).

Is this correct?

As an aside I have tried to google a user manual to no avail BUT......

Peter

If you have this setup:

---[Router]---[Switch]{====Multiple PCs

Then you only *need* a firewall on the Router (by the way, of you have a "4 port
router", it may actually contain a switch/hub or it may contain 4 separate ethernet
interfaces).  Some people reckon that having multiple different types of firewall is
a good idea (reason: a cracker is unlikely to bother cracking a router firewall, an
IPCop firwall & a Windows based personal firewall...) but unless you have some funky
needs then more than one is overkill.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.