Re: [LUG] Lindows OS 4.5

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:52:26 +0000
Grant Sewell wrote:

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:44:28 +0000
Richard Brown wrote:

So does anybody know how I can configure apt-get in lindows to be able
to do away with the whole $4.95 thing!

Presumably it still uses the ol' /etc/apt/sources.list file?  If so, edit that by
hand and use some other deb resource(s) - Debian/Ubuntu/etc.
You may want to "apt-get update" immediately followed by "apt-get upgrade" (or
"apt-get dist-upgrade").  I don't know (but I doubt) if Synaptic is already
installed, but I can recommend that for subsequent package searching.

You should also read very carefully whether you've been tied into a $4.95/month
for a minimum of 1 year or not.

HTH

Grant.

Forgot to mention: if you're unfamiliar, the format of the sources.list file is as
such (more info from "man sources.list")

So, my sources.list file, using the Debian Sid (unstable) tree is as follows:

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable contrib
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-free
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/contrib
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/main
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/main
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable non-US/non-free

If you use the "stable" tree then there's also some security sources you can use.
Not sure if there available for testing, though.

HTH some more.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.