Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:45:43 +0000
Philip McGaw <skippy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

as Ben, and Gem, can probably testifie, i have been looking at
installing linux for a while, however despite trying to get a working
linux box, my server still runs 2003 server (upgraded from 2000
profesianal) i have tryed Debian, and FDC2 on it, however Windows has
always been easer to set up, because it just works,

I suppose that all depends on your viewpoint of "easier to setup".

If you prefer using a server system that requires a reboot every time you add a task
for it to do, then go Win2k3!
(I recently had the pleasure of installing a Win2k3 server on a virtual machine so
that I could help someone with an RIS problem they were having.  Installed the OS.
Reboot.  Promoted the server to a PDS.  Reboot.  Install DNS services.  Reboot.
Install RIS services.  Reboot.  Thankfully I already have a DHCP server on my home
LAN otherwise I would have had to do that aswell, and reboot!)

If you prefer being given a pointy-clicky environment that has (very) limited
scripting ability should you need to perform regular repetitive tasks, in order to
configure and maintain your servers, then go Win2k3!  And I don't count using an
abomination of a batch file (using VBScript) in order to perform functions as
"scripting".

If you prefer to have a system that is a potential nightmare to bring back to life
after a clitch, then go Win2k3!  Why is damn near everything stored in cryptic files
or in the registry?

If you run servers that are (almost) never accessed directly but instead rely upon
remote access for configuration maintenance... and you prefer that said system
should use resources to provide an GUI interface when it's never used, then go
Win2k3!

Otherwise, I think that perhaps you might want to try something else.

When i can find a linux distro that "just works" i may get shot of my
windows usage, but untill i find a just works solution, i will have to
continue using windows

As far as I am aware, there are no operating systems that "just work".  All of them
*have* to start with a blank slate onto which you create a system that suits you.
Does a plain vanilla (ie non-configured) Win2k3 server do anything useful straight
away?  No, you have to mould it to your needs.  Does *any* Linux system do anything
useful straight away?  No, you have to mould it to your needs.  True, most Linux
distros give you the option of installing extra software (such as OpenOffice or
server softwares) at install-time, but if we're talking about server systems, you
still need to tweak them.

There is no such thing as a perfect OS.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.