Re: [LUG] Re: What is/was your work desktop? was Re: [LUG} SIMS

Kelly Jones wrote:

Yes Fedora Core is excellent, Version 3 adds Gnome 2.8, Firefox 1.0 and Evolution 2.02 apart from that it's much the same as FC2. VMWare is excellent and i can't recommend it highly enough, you can go full screen with an OS and it feels and looks exactly if it was running directly on the hardware. I had a loft full of servers running various OS's for testing and educational purposes, i now have everything (except firewall) running on one cube system which is tiny, very powerful and didn't cost much to put together (less than i got for all the old server kit i had). Best of all you can install a test system in literally minutes and VMware has a snapshot system which is similar to Windows XP system restore allowing you to trash an OS then restore it at the touch of a button. The have also sorted out USB support in VMware which was something that always stopped me from doing this in earlier versions.

Sounds good, I have played with earlier versions of VMWare, I was reading up a bit about it at work, sounds like it will run on 64-Bit Linux which is good, I could use a 64-bit OS and still run my old stubborn Windows app's (DVD Shrink, SonicStage for MiniDisc etc) when I need to.

I'll start downloading it tonight, finally got my broadband and I need something to test the faster speed. :-)

Rob