Re: [LUG] Offer of venue for DCGLUG meet

On Tuesday 07 Dec 2004 17:31, Tony Sumner wrote:
an educational geographic information system called AEGIS 3 (for details
go to http://www.advisory-unit.org.uk, click on software then AEGIS 3).

Never had much use for it myself, but then I'm a technician in a Higher
Education Geography department and not a Geography Schoolteacher  (I know
some who think it's great).  The description of it on the advisory unit site
is good, so I won't waste my fingers.

Is it not a common fallacy that open source means you don't eat? What
should I say to her? Are the demo disks of interest?

IMV Teachers are not just interested in software, they are more interested in
fully developed exercises which they can use for lessons. So, if you
open-source the software you get the benefit that a lot more teachers will
try it out, while you concentrate on developing and selling  exercises to
this expanded market.  With luck, some people might even work on the software
and improve it.

The above is probably pie in the sky thinking - Aegis is what I would call
"very windows".  If you want free GIS on Linux, try GRASS - It's complex and
technical but it could have an educationally focussed GUI front-end built on
to it. (from: "Projects I'm never going to have time to do" - volume 3)

Tony