Re: [LUG] Offer of venue for DCGLUG meeting related to Educational software

On Saturday 04 Dec 2004 22:27, Rob Beard wrote:

I work at Devon County Council in the ICT department, from what I
understand all their educational IT is generally delt with by a
different company/department who supply some educational software called
SIMS I think.  I haven't looked into it much, but maybe I could try and
find out who makes the decisions about IT hardware and software.  Might
also be worth sending out some flyers to the local schools?

I do actually have first-hand experience of the SIMS system in use and
somewhere even have a list of what it's users at Tavistock College don't like
about it, which is a fairly long list (I ended up writing a SIMS system for
my Computing A-Level so investigated the existing system in-depth). They are
certainly keen to use a better system as what they've got tends to get in the
way. But naturally the decisions are made by management without, I suspect,
even consulting the people who have to use the system.

But is there actually a free SIMS system out there and if there is, are
individual schools actually free to choose their own SIMS software?

David.

--
David Johnson
http://www.david-web.co.uk/