Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises

I was thinking of suggesting they try Linux of some description, probably something like Mandrake 10 Community edition (as its free and I have the whole distro on DVD from a Linux format magazine). I don't think they would need much from Windows, it sounds like my childminder uses Office (or maybe even Wordpad) which can be replaced with OOo 1.1.3, and her kids browse the internet which I'm sure Firefox wouldn't have any problems with (well it certainly works a treat for my browsing needs).

There are quite a few books on Amazon that cover Open office, one is the sams tys open office, not got it yet, but if it's like other books then it will be good for beginners

I would guess also that most similar books on Linux would do the same,

One thing you can do is install openoffice, mozilla and firefox, along with some other open source windows applicatioms on windows, these are like core applications that once you are used to them , it makes the switch to Linux and less painful as it's something you are familar with, If a user is having to get to grips with KDE and the above, it could get too much, convert in stages, slowly, Perhaps dual boot, I am sure she will apprecaite the games on Linux being of the non violent nature, (well good for kids,) the puzzle games should keep them quiet, if the kids are older, then the puzzle in kde which you build molecules is both challenging and educational,

Plus tux typing is both fun and educational,. (and available on both),

If you do want to make the switch, I would go dual boot first, that way you can sort out any issues, and use windows to download stuff, to make it all work, there is nothing worse then switching to linux then finding your modem does not work and ending up stuck, (that just looks bad as they will say well windows works fine)

Just found this book on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0321159985/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_f/202-0222705-5731872

also Linux for non geeks
*http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1593270348/ref=pd_sim_b_dp_2/202-0222705-5731872

covers gnome, and according to the synopsys also installing apt so I guess its' debian based.

paul
*

Does anyone know of any guides to help new Linux users convert from familar Windows 9x/ME/XP to something like KDE or Gnome? (just thinking it'll save me trying to explain everything to her).

Rob

PAIGNTON RUGBY CLUB ARE LOOKING FOR SPONSORS.

Options include Ball, and match sponsorship, Team Sponsorship
and advertising banners which last the whole season (September - May 1st)

Please visit. www.paigntonrugby.co.uk - click sponsorship for details.

Linux -

Free your mind, save money, Use Linux and open source. Open source, don't get left in the dark ages, migrate now.
www.linux.org