Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:25:40 +0000
Paul Sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

My friend who runs farseerenterprises (www.farseerenterprises.com)in torbay wants
to produce a line of PC's running Linux.

He was thinking of Linspire, and asked me if it was suitable (Not having used it I
am unsure) However I said that Mandrake was good for beginners,

What do people think,  I also said that it really depends on the user. So what do
people think would be a good idea.  I have fecora core 3 from the Linux magazine
cover dvd,  however this is currently with the technician at the college.

I guess what version of Linux you use depends on the user,  and what he / she
wants to use Linux for.

Paul

My experience of Linspire has tainted my views on it as a viable Linux option, I'm
affraid.

If the person installing Linux onto these machines is familiar with Linux, and
Debian in particular, then I am sure that Linspire would make a perfectly good
choice *after* it had been locked down somewhat.  This "Click n Run" thing sounds
like a very nice touch, until you realise that you're paying a subscription fee in
order to download mainly software that is GPLed anyway.  I know there are other
packages in the CnR repository, but the bulk of it is Free/Open Software.  To my
mind, they (Linspire) are taking a perfectly good idea (apt-*) and getting their
users to pay a subscription for using Linspire's servers as their apt repository.  I
don't like the sound of it.

I have used Debian based distros only recently, and I have to admit that the whole
apt thing is fantastic.  I probably would recommend Debian itself for new users, but
there is a wealth of Debian-based distros around.  Xandros seems particularly aimed
at people used to Windows environments.  I am also hearing great things about Ubuntu.

You're absolutely right about Mandrake being a good "beginner" distro.  SuSE *can*
also fit into this category.  I wouldn't recommend RedHat/Fedora as a beginners
distro, though.  I know they're all RPM based, but that seems to be where the
similarities (end-user perspective) end.

SuSE has the great YaST tool.  Great if you don't know what to do manually, possibly
terrible if you do (or at least I found it to be horrible around SuSE 7.x... I am
sure it used to reinstate files after I had edited them manually - perhaps I was
being paranoid).

Mandrake's recent tendency is to be almost-cutting-edge, which sometimes lets them
down.  Although progression is the name of the game, sometimes Mandrake release
things that, in my opinion, should really have been left for a little while longer.
Particular example is Mdk9.2.  Horrible, horrible!  Should have been a nice
"upgrade" from 9.1, ended up being a shambles (IMO).  From what I've seen of 10.0
and 10.1, things are a bit better.

Grant.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.