Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises

Quoting Grant Sewell <dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:25:40 +0000
Paul Sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

My friend who runs farseerenterprises (www.farseerenterprises.com)in torbay
wants to produce a line of PC's running Linux.

He was thinking of Linspire, and asked me if it was suitable (Not having
used it I am unsure) However I said that Mandrake was good for beginners,

What do people think,  I also said that it really depends on the user. So
what do people think would be a good idea.  I have fecora core 3 from the
Linux magazine cover dvd,  however this is currently with the technician at
the college.

I guess what version of Linux you use depends on the user,  and what he /
she wants to use Linux for.

Paul

I've been playing around with Suse 9.1 these past couple of days.  I guess it
depends on if your friend wants to just supply some CDs/DVD or a boxed product
with manuals.

My experiences of Suse have been pretty good these past couple of days, but I
think that some new users who aren't computer literate might prefer to go down
the Windows route as they can go out and buy things like Easy PC and any PC
computer magazine and run the software from the cover discs.

I've experienced a new user first hand, my ex girlfriend couldn't stand Linux
because she couldn't use Windows programs on it.  Basicly she didn't have the
patience to sit down and work it out like I have.

Still would be a good idea to maybe offer the customers a choice of Linux or
Windows, and suggest they try Linux for a month or two, and if they don't get
on with it, offer them an OEM version of Windows XP?

Rob