Re: [LUG] Migrating to Linux

Julian Hall wrote:

Hi Rob,

I'm using MDK 10.0 as well, and Thunderbird/Firefox as my email/browser combo. The pair of them installed into my home directory /home/julian/thunderbird (and .thunderbird) and /home/julian/firefox (and .firefox) respectively. It seems to me, as a relative newbie like you to the guts of Linux, that this particular installer dumps everything into a subfolder of where you run the installer from. I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

The method I used was as follows:

1. Download the latest firefox (or thunderbird) tar.gz file and unpack it where you want it to install. Might be an idea to install it as I ddi to your /home directory as I did... that way if Mandrake goes belly up and you need to reinstall, provided /home is on a separate partition you won't lose anything :)

2. In a console run the file 'thunderbird-installer' or firefox-installer.

Job's a good un :)

Kind regards,

Julian

Thanks for that Julian. I managed to find an RPM for Firefox and Thunderbird on a CD but it turns out they were older versions with security problems or something. I'll try looking for an installer in the tar.gz file.

Rob