Re: [LUG] UKLinux

On Monday 04 October 2004 21:51, Simon Waters wrote:
Simon Gilpin wrote:
| I don't know what their current politics are, but
| then what about all the other ISPs?

Jason Clifford left UKLINUX alleging (AIUI) that they had failed to
contribute money to the free software community as originally promised.

He left, and set up UKFSN (UK Free Software Network, ukfsn.org),
which has already given money to the Association for Free Software
(affs.org.uk), which is in the process of seeking relevant projects
to fund.

Jason's dispute with UKLINUX is well documented in uk.comp.os.linux
archives.

I can't comment on the activities of UKLINUX subsequent to Jason
leaving, but they do host some important community projects, so
their contribution is not zero, but clearly not what Jason expected
either.

Many of the pay as you go ISPs, and smaller ISPs, start by reselling
Tiscali dial services, which are very reliable. I know several
companies and individuals with their own ISPs based on reselling
Tiscali dial services. Where people just want a quick pay as you go
dial ISP service for the old GSM mobile phones, or to use on the
road, I have tended to recommend UKFSN because I know where the
money is going. Support can be a tad slow, but how much support do
simple dial and email services need?

Thanks for the info, I'll take a closer look at their activities.