[LUG] Meeting to be booked by John.

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 6:38 pm, john wrote:
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 5:51, Simon Waters wrote:
Where were you when we were organising all the big public events?

which big public events would they be then?
http://www.dclug.org.uk/index.php
Past Events

Linux Install Day - 29th April 2001 at Exeter Uni

Open Source Day - 27th April 2002 at Exeter Uni

St. Peter's School - 27th March 2003

Paignton Rugby/Cricket club 17th July 2003

Plymouth University 12th August 2003

St. Peter's School - 19th Feb 2004

August Meeting - 28th August 2004

before then, and I gotta tell you I genuinely cannot recall any big public
linux events being promoted locally at any time since then.

You weren't looking then were you?
The Install Day, Open Source Day and Plymouth University meets were all big
public meetings in the local area. If you want to book something the size of
the NEC or the Pavilions, we'd be only to glad to come along with our four
bar extension leads, switches, hubs, Cat5, laptops, headless boxes, possibly
a projector and boundless enthusiasm for GNU/Linux.

I have nothing to repent so don't hold your breath expecting me to be
contrite.

Yes you have - swearing, trolling, rambling, grumbling and doing NOTHING to
make anything better. When are you going to arrange a meeting or even do
something constructive?

As you say talk is cheap, when are you organising the next meet?

organising meets is easy enough,

Go on then. You've got your password for the members area. Use the survey,
invite people close to your area, find the venue and book it.

it is agreeing on the purpose of same that
needs to come first, does it not.

Book a venue, publicise the meet, describe what services are available and
we'll sort out what happens later. If you want to print off leaflets and pay
for local publicity, fine, on your head be it.

haven't seen anything approaching a consensus

The majority of people on the list are lurking. When someone publicises a
meeting they would like to attend, they'll respond. If we waited for everyone
or even more than just a handful of people to agree on an agenda, the meeting
will never happen. We've tried it. The best attended meetings happen within
7-10 days of the first post to the list discussing a possible meeting - like
the one you've been carping about all this time. Strike while the iron is hot
and people make time for the meeting. Book something that's months away and
everyone gets cold feet, other things crop up and attendance crashes.

Still, some of the v.quiet meetings have been the best. We had a really good
meeting that was only attended by 7 people. It was an excellent social event
- got to make a few friends and put faces to emails.

Before you can bring off a polished marketing spin for Joe Public, you need to
make friends and influence people amongst the existing group. Know who you
can rely on to configure the network, setup the demonstrators, sort out
unusual protocols going through the firewall and allow time for setup. Or are
you a one-mand-band? Do you want any technical help?

that there should be an
installathon and intent to participare from people, because we are still
discussing the relative issues innit.

Wasting time. Get on and book something.

--

Neil Williams