Re: [LUG] Meeting to be booked by John.

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 19:03, Neil Williams wrote:

<snip>
Past Events

Linux Install Day - 29th April 2001 at Exeter Uni

Open Source Day - 27th April 2002 at Exeter Uni

St. Peter's School - 27th March 2003

Paignton Rugby/Cricket club 17th July 2003

Plymouth University 12th August 2003

St. Peter's School - 19th Feb 2004

August Meeting - 28th August 2004

<snip>

This is all true, and I have to admit attending 5 of the above myself,
however one observation I would like to make is that I have noticed a
tendency / trend towards limited time span between conception and
implementation of meetings (some times weeks (as in 2) mostly days. For
example last Saturdays meeting was initially proposed by Simon on 21st
(correct me if I am wrong but that is the earliest reference I could
find) and implemented on the 28th that is to say a whole 7 days for
people to get there acts together.

This tendency may of course be manifest in the latter meetings,
certainly I think the 27th April 2002 Exeter Uni event was the first
that I attended and at that point I joined the group. But IIRC this
event had been in planning for some time (and as the event is still
impressed on my memory) Simon, Dr Midgley, A mad greek fellow and
several others gave some excellent demonstrations / talks). It convinced
me that I was in safe hands !

Now Saturdays meeting was not intended as a install event, and would
have turned a general public (ie currently non member) audience off
completely. Well ok this is debatable, but it certainly wasn't intended
as that sort of event.

My point however, is that I feel its time that we planned and
co-ordinated something with the public (non-member) in mind, or given
the vast area (in land mass) that DCGLUG covers compared with other
GLUG's perhaps a roadshow taking in major venues in Devon and Cornwall.
A set of dates, times and places advertised locally by local members
(well in advance), but supported by the group as a whole were ever
possible each contributing from his / her own unique abilities .

And secondly perhaps its time to have an area on DCGLUG that caters for
"newbies" (ecck I hate that term), so that those members that don't mind
answering seemingly daft questions can do so, but not disturb or enrage
the passions of those that don't and thus, (more importantly IMHO) not
put off those that are GNU/Linux knowledge challenged from asking
questions. As the existing mail group can be un-subscribed as well as
subscribed I should think this would not be too hard to arrange .... Any
comments Neil  / Anyone ?