Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

On Sunday 26 September 2004 00:14, Matt Lee wrote:

.... but we like to be fair about things and call it GNU/Linux (guh-noo
slash linux) -- it helps the cause if you too adopt the true name for
the system, as it alerts people to the work of the GNU project and Free
Software Foundation. It also helps people realise that someday when
Linux is superseded by GNU Mach and the Hurd collection of servers
(GNU/Hurd) that much of the skills and knowledge they have, are
transferable.

Thanks for putting me straight on that.Will do.

Debian Testing, via the installer mentioned above, should give you no
problems on vaguely new hardware, unless you've got an obscure graphics
card.

The graphics card is not obscure,per se.Just one that requires commercial
drivers.Vesa has the display running fine though,so,I'm guessing I could wing
it with Debian,too,when I am more experienced.Thanks for the link.I'll get
practising.

Take Xandros OS 2 Business Edition-almost spooky,isn't it?And
Linspire.....

I've never tried either, but I understand they have their benefits. If
they were free software (speech, not beer), then I'd try them.

Linspire is free,and can be freely copied and redistributed at will.The
Xandros was a freebie with Linux User And Developer.My SuSE 9.1 is a full
hard drive install,but with minimal features (I still love it).I downloaded
it free from here:

www.suse.com/us/private/download/ftp/personal_iso_int.html

Are you in Devon? Cornwall?

I am in Cornwall.