Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

On Saturday 25 September 2004 11:38 pm, Sadie Brinham wrote:
My name is Sadie.I tried Mandrake 10 a couple of months ago,and now I am a
total Linux convert.I don't feel satisfied unless I've downloaded at least
one ISO per day and am compelled to regularly partition my hdd's to make
way for more distros.

I went through that phase - even bought a second 60Gb hard drive to cope with
it all. Eventually, I settled for 'The One'* and have gradually wiped each
partition (using mke2fs) and moved various system folders into their own
partitions.

* = Debian unstable (of course).

As a total beginner,at the moment I rate each distro according to the ease
of the installation routine,and configuration of eth0.

Once you've got that sorted on each one, you may change to using actual
operation as a distinguishing factor. Ease of updates, dependency
resolutions, frequency of new package releases, etc.

My installation-aspirations have unfortunately been curtailed for the
forseeable future.Not knowing any better,I purchased a new PC with a hard
disk in which the number of cylinders is set to 20023.Essentially,this
means that many distributions are unable to detect the hard disk.

?? Will Knoppix load? If it does, Debian can follow.
Read up on LILO and Grub, there are config settings that can cope with such
drives - this is not the first time it has happened.

Start by putting the drive designation into www.google.co.uk/linux

Would love
any suggestions for distros that can.

Try liveCD's like Knoppix and others, they load from the CD and run without
using the hard drive. Then you can investigate the behaviour within a full
GNU/Linux system, not just within an installer.

Currently,I'm running SuSE 9.1 and
Mandrake 10.1 (Two out of the three flavours I have found which are able to
handle this new drive and 64 Bit architecture),while five others are
crammed into my old AMD Duron.

There is a funny side,however-XP can't "see" the drive either.This
means,anyone purchasing such a computer has two options:either go beserk
and demand a refund..or move on up to Linux.

?? You bought the PC with this drive fitted? Was an OS pre-installed? Which?

--

Neil Williams