Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

On Sunday 26 September 2004 00:27, Neil Williams wrote:

Once you've got that sorted on each one, you may change to using actual
operation as a distinguishing factor. Ease of updates, dependency
resolutions, frequency of new package releases, etc.

Suse 9.1 has not presented a single problem so far.Mandrake 10 continually has
me traipsing round the 'net searching for packages to resolve dependencies.I
have messed up a heck of a lot of programme installations-largely through not
having a clue what I was doing,but at times because I hadn't expected some
obscure something-or-other needed to be in place before hand.

?? Will Knoppix load? If it does, Debian can follow.
Read up on LILO and Grub, there are config settings that can cope with such
drives - this is not the first time it has happened.

Every single LIVE! distro I have will load.

Try liveCD's like Knoppix and others, they load from the CD and run without
using the hard drive. Then you can investigate the behaviour within a full
GNU/Linux system, not just within an installer.

I'm not absolutely confident I'd understand the information gleaned.Gentoo
Universal Live installation disks fdisk temporarilly corrected the cylinder
numbers,bringing them to a default setting.

There is a funny side,however-XP can't "see" the drive either.This
means,anyone purchasing such a computer has two options:either go beserk
and demand a refund..or move on up to Linux.

?? You bought the PC with this drive fitted? Was an OS pre-installed?
Which?

It came with a horribly corrupted image of XP.Long story.I now buy PCs without
operating systems pre-installed.

Sadie