Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

I thought it only civil to say a proper "Hello",as opposed to skulking
anonymously,leeching from your clever Linux minds!

Hey... Oh, there's nothing wrong with skulking, really.

My name is Sadie.I tried Mandrake 10 a couple of months ago,and now I am a
total Linux convert.I don't feel satisfied unless I've downloaded at least
one ISO per day and am compelled to regularly partition my hdd's to make way
for more distros.

My name is Matt. I'm the accessibility/usability guy for the Free Software Foundation. Since 1984, we've been working on giving computer users freedom in software, and working on the free operating system, GNU. Many users, including yourself are kept away from finding out the truth about the system you run, by manufacturers of distributions... Linux is the kernel, and GNU is the operating system. We could call it GNU, but we like to be fair about things and call it GNU/Linux (guh-noo slash linux) -- it helps the cause if you too adopt the true name for the system, as it alerts people to the work of the GNU project and Free Software Foundation. It also helps people realise that someday when Linux is superseded by GNU Mach and the Hurd collection of servers (GNU/Hurd) that much of the skills and knowledge they have, are transferable.

So yes, that's GNU/Linux. I'll assume all other references to Linux are GNU/Linux.

Of course,I harbour Gentoo aspirations-but at this juncture,I cannot see
myself managing to compile a 100% error-free kernel.That's not to say I don't
try,with tiresome persistance.

You probably saw this coming, but Debian is the way to go. There's a nice network installer. <http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/current/ sarge-i386-businesscard.iso> -- We've got a local mirror in Exeter, if you don't fancy downloading it all.

As a total beginner,at the moment I rate each distro according to the ease of
the installation routine,and configuration of eth0.Slackware 10,while easy
enough to install,was devilishly difficult to set up an Internet connection
upon.Any routines which run so smoothly,there's no excuse not to give them a
shot,I recommend to all my diehard Redmond consumerist pals..All of whom are
utterly sick of spyware,diallers,viruses,worms,having their browsers hijacked
etc.

Debian Testing, via the installer mentioned above, should give you no problems on vaguely new hardware, unless you've got an obscure graphics card.

Take Xandros OS 2 Business Edition-almost spooky,isn't it?And
Linspire.....Those two quash everyones immediate fear of Linux.I'm 33,and I
had always believed that Linux is strictly for Quantum Physicists.Here I
am,mailing you from a Linux box.Never thought I'd see the day.

I've never tried either, but I understand they have their benefits. If they were free software (speech, not beer), then I'd try them.

Try Debian testing. When booting the installer disk, type linux26 at the prompt to load the 2.6 kernel, and you should be away.

Are you in Devon? Cornwall?

matt