RE: [LUG] Install attempt.

Hi everyone. I thought it was about time I actually started using
GNU/Linux properly. So....I tried to install Mandrake 9.0 but it`s not
having it. The mainboard is a VIA ITX that has sound, video, eithernet
and processor all built into the board. Is it possible that this is
the reason for the non-install?.

When I was assisting with a LTSP project for a local school we used Mini ITX
based boxes as the thin clients, had no problem at all (ok we had to add an
old  hard disk because the PSU tripped out due to lack of load on Mobo. The
schools tech support even turned one into a standalone box (so that he could
demonstrate the server side on it). Since the boxes where VCR / DVD player
shaped (but smaller) he could take one server and one client anywere for
demo purposes. This used RH 8.? IIRC straight from the CD no problems with
install / running. Having said that we used bulk standard vesa drivers for
the Video (as it was only indented to be used for office desktop and not
playing the latest "hot pixel crunching" games this didnt really matter). I
think they where M1000 boards, of course things will have changed with
Mini-ITX since then (+1 year ago) but VIA were very keen to provide drivers,
so you could try their web site. Nice quite boxes (especially when used as
thin clients).

Come to think of it,  we never tried the sound, but again I think VIA had or
where working on Linux drivers. I think the onboard cpu is celeron command
set, at least its a cut down instruction set so it maybe that the package
sets for Mandrake dont support it. At the risk of being flamed try RH 8, if
that works ok, try Fedora Core 2.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council