Re: [LUG] part of the ecology

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 10:03:53AM +0100, Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 01:19:17 +0100, Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not keen that we promote companies that promote proprietary
software - what do others feel about this? I think we should offer our
support to free software only.
Lots of commercial, non-open, software runs on Linux, and that is a good
thing.
I don't think we should restrict ourselves actually.

You should check out this blog:
http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/

Hmm, can't find the exact ref, but I remember him arguing that Red Hat's
software is proprietary due to the way their subscription model works.
So opensource software can be proprietary.

Commercial software on the Linux platform is of course a good thing !

However I do believe their software MUST be open source licensed.
Preferably straight up Free Software. Getting at the source for those
who want to, is essential.