Re: [LUG] supermount

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:32:30 +0100
paul sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Despite my best efforts to tell both mtab and fstab to use /media/camera, when
i switch the camera on suse 9,1 still insists on putting it in this directory
under media,  so there must be another program at work somewhere,  i don't
know how to find out whats going on,

usb-storage-Y172\^\^\^\^\^000919X0000002003117\:0\:0\:0p1/

I think the culprit is the hotplug daemon rather than usbdevfs (or whatever).

So, back to doing things manually!

Try this:

Remove the entry in your fstab for the camera (and your mtab if you feel it
necessary).
Plug in the camera.
Become root.
Type: cat /etc/fstab; fdisk -l
You *should* have a new entry in your fstab for the camera (although it might be
something like /media/usbstorage*£**W$*£*" or whatever it was before).
Edit the fstab and change the line accordingly, so you'd want to edit the line for
usbstorage%^$&$£% and make it look like:
/dev/sdb1 /media/camera auto users,noauto,rw 0 0
Save the changes.
Hopefully when you next plug in the camera, the hotplug daemon will notice that you
already have an entry in your fstab for the device (/dev/sdb1) and so will not add
another one.  And therefore, hopefully you will be able to access it successfully
(as any user) by simply mounting /media/camera.

The reason I mention this now is that I have only just spotted something you
mentioned in your very first post on this:  You added your own fstab entry pointing
to /dev/sda1, and the hotplug daemon added one pointing to /dev/sdb1.  Since the
hotplug daemon gets its information from the proc filesystem, it is usually right
(even when you don't want it to be!) so try taking it at its word and using
/dev/sdb1 instead of sda1.

/dev/sda1 /media/camera vfat rw 0 0

However this is edited as it also contained the line

/dev/sdb1 /media/usb-storage-Y172^^^^^000919X0000002003117:0:0:0p1

Good luck.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.