Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

On Saturday 10 July 2004 11:45, Simon Waters wrote:

So the spam will come from elsewhere - so the benefit is only ensuring
Paypal scams come from Paypal employees and crackers, or paypa1.com

Effective spam will come from where it says it comes from ...
which exposes the spammer/scammer to a significantly increased personal risk.

Compromising machines may be easy, but compromising _particular selected_
machines I'd expect to be harder, again if the attacks on them have to be
targetted rather than random the attacker is exposed a little more.

| It doesn't address impersonation at all.

I think you missed the point here. That is all it addresses and it does
it badly.

A difference of interpretation perhaps - machines are not yet people.

The antispam houses claim they know who the people who send the bulk of
spam, and they claim they have provided this information to the US
Department of Commerce. So if you want a "social solution" press for
enforcement.

Part of the governments though will prefer to see the problem get larger, so
that when they announce that email may only be sent under conditions enforced
by universal identification, absence of cryptography etc etc there will be a
public acceptance.  I think thinking globally and acting locally is the way.
--
Adrian Midgley                   (Linux desktop)
GP, Exeter