RE: [LUG] sendmail rejects

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Adrian Midgley
Sent: 09 July 2004 12:54
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

There is the slight problem that bouncing confirms there are actually some
real addresses around the dud one.

Wouldn't that depend on the wording of the bounce?

e.g. Unknown user would mean the domain exists but the user doesn't, whereas
Unknown Host/Domain would mean the entire network was non-existent.

For example if I were a spammer and sent a mail to anybody@xxxxxxxxxxxx and
got a bounce back saying (and I forget the exact wording) something to the
effect that there is no mail server active on that domain I would give up
and move on.  If I got a bounce saying "Unknown user" then I may be inclined
to be more persistent.

Mind you I've been out of Tech Support now for the thick end of 5 months and
happily forgetting a lot of what I once knew, so maybe I'm talking rubbish
:)

Kind regards,

Julian
---