Re: [LUG] Static IP

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 07:37, alan wrote:
Hi,

have a look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for the ifcfg-eth0 file
open it in an editor, and check to see if it has the ip listed in
there. If it has, remove it, and make sure there are the lines :

BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

the save & quit the editor, and run ifup eth0 or reboot.

If there are any other ifcfg-eth*:* files present, then unless you have
manually added a new ip to the box, they can be deleted. Its best to
open them and have a look inside first though ;-)

Or, conversely, you could set BOOTPROTO=none and let it keep the ip
address it has but without requesting one from the dhcp server on boot.

Hi Alan,

I set the ifcfg-eth0 as you suggested with the following:

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes

Then I ran the ifup command, with the below result:

[root@xxxxxxx root]# /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0
Determining IP information for eth0... failed.

Not terribly encouraging.  Any ideas why it's died?

In Mandrake control panel the network connection properties say:

DHCP
current IP address 192.168.1.3
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1 (router IP address)

One thing I *think* is wrong is that the DNS server points to the router
also.  Would that be so DNS requests go to the router and then to the
external DNS servers?  If so it's obviously OK.

Incidentally as soon as the Linux machine booted up, the laptop
currently running Windows 2000 complained that another machine was
trying to use the same IP address.

Kind regards,

Julian