Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

Adrian Midgley wrote:
| On Friday 09 July 2004 17:51, alan wrote:
|

|>Unfortunately, as most of the spam is automated, and virus driven
|

| and spoofs its "from" line...
|
| When I get at my DNS records I shall put an SPF record in
(spf.pobox.com) and
| when I understand Postfix more fully I shall start checking for SPF
records.

Why not just sign all your emails - all the end user benefits (they know
it is from you can can discard the other emails claiming to be from you)
and none of the drawbacks of SPF.

SPF was invented by email administrators of big email systems to solve
the problems of email administrators of big email systems, and it is at
best a half baked solution for that. This is why Wietse isn't that
concerned about SPF support in Postfix (I think it is around now but it
was and will remain a low priority). Indeed none of the big three Eric,
Wietse or Dan seemed terribly enamoured with SPF last time I checked.

The real problem here is insecure machines on the Internet, almost
universally running software from one company in Redmond. If they aren't
being used to send spam it will be some equally obnoxious activity - you
can already rent a DDoS attack. My guess if SPF is deployed more widely
many of these machines will be brute forcing SMTP-Auth passwords :(

Similarly why on earth do I still get emails from financial institutions
on the Internet that aren't signed?

There are various aspects to spam;

1) email resource usuage.

2) people time wastage.

3) administrator time

SPF transfers work from 1 to 3. It doesn't solve the spam problem, and it only partially address impersonation (unlike signing emails which addresses this one properly).

But spam isn't a huge cost in hardware email resources - typically a lot
of it is quickly rejected or deleted. And the marginal cost of email is
small. Indeed antispam solutions are often more costly than the spam in
terms of equipment resources. For ISPs with both email and web, smtp is
usually a small amount of bandwidth compared to http.

Where as 3 is expensive. For the time cost of implementing SPF at a
small ISP - enable SMTP auth, educate users about SMTP Auth, update DNS,
update email servers, manage passwords.... you can probably upgrade the
email server hardware - which means an order of magnitude more email can
be handled.

Since SPF doesn't actually address the spam problem, it doesn't reduce
(2) significantly at least not until you switch on the "don't accept
email from non-SPF users" or those advertising all addresses (like AOL
was at one point - may still do) and that isn't happening anytime soon.