RE: [LUG] sendmail rejects

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Simon Waters
Sent: 09 July 2004 18:51
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

Hi Simon,

The real problem here is insecure machines on the Internet

Agreed, working in our AUP department I forwarded a spam to a network admin
on one occasion advising it originated from their SMTP server and advising
they needed to close their Open Relay.  I got a reply back from "Vice
President of Network Services" asking "How do I do that?"  *groan*

Hell I briefly ran an SMTP server myself at home using IIS 5.0 and all I did
was tell it to only allow mail through from the desktop PC's IP address and
the laptop.  I don't think it's brain surgery.  Admittedly I have never
administered a huge network with many machines, but surely the principle is
the same?

For ISPs with both email and web, smtp is
usually a small amount of bandwidth compared to http.

True, however, speaking from the "sharp end" I can tell you it is
regrettably a large resource in support manpower, with a huge number of
customer contacts, not only email but telephone and letter also, bemoaning
the volume of spam customers get.

Personally I suggest they use one of their spare accounts for things like
online purchases and use that one *only* and then I suggest they replace
letters in their email addresses with numbers, e.g. mike.smith becomes
m1ke.sm1th.  I'd like to see the dictionary that has mike spelled with a 1
in it ;)  It's never going to be perfect, but hopefully will cut out a lot
of the spam.  The one time it won't is if the ISP employees sell the list to
a third party (mentioning no names there but I read about that one on The
Register ;)).

I think regarding your #3 the balance has to be struck between the one-time
use of expensive manpower to set the system up, and the ongoing week after
week of less expensive (per head) manpower which will not stop while the
spam continues.

Kind regards,

Julian
---