RE: [LUG] sendmail rejects

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of Simon Waters
Sent: 09 July 2004 18:17
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

Indeed even antispam solutions that comply with this model can cause
issues, such as when I switched on Brightmail on my Demon account and
the bounces it sent caused my GNU mailing list subscriptions to be
suspended (it was bouncing the spam from the bug reporting address (open
mailing list) which triggered the "too many bounces from this address
rule" in mailman).

How about a script that only lets in mail from people you know, and consigns
everything else "to be checked later"?  It does I grant you have the
drawback of people genuinely referred to you (maybe by a business
acquaintance) being initially put in the wrong box.  Also anyone who has
their mail client incorrectly configured would be dumped.  However, since
the majority of people mailing would be known to the recipient, then this
ought to kill spam stone dead.

A bounce would probably be configured to give the postmaster address of
course, so that anyone genuinely trying to contact you could use that
address, and thereby get added to the whitelist.

Kind regards,

Julian
---