Re: [LUG] EU Vote June 12th - who to vote for

Mark Evans wrote:
Adrian Midgley wrote:

On Saturday 22 May 2004 08:21, Jon Lawrence wrote:

I didn't email the respective candidates, but rather the parties
themselves. Todate, only the UK IP have bothered to reply - they simply
said that it's their policy to pull out of Europe completely

Fantasists.

But if we became less European, it would be hard to become other than
more American, thus tending to take the ludicrous patenting with the
rest of the package.

I've always found it kind of ironic how little the likes of UKIP (or for
that matter the BNP) have to say about US involvment in British
politics. If nothing else UK citizens at least have the chance to vote
for MEPs.

I thought we had the chance to vote for political parties, not MEPs,
there are important differences, especially if you believe there are
unsuitable individuals supported by one or other party.

American states probably have more independence than European states,
the citizens certainly have clearer and better defined rights. But it
isn't an either or choice - I certainly think we should join NAFTA if we
can get in on a reasonable basis, but there is no reason the UK can't
strike it's own path in the world.

Now back to the topic we should be discussing, Microsoft support for the
Irish Presidency of the EU - although the Presidency's web site is
stuffed with Word documents,...... and the text only link gives an ASP
error <sic> (although this doesn't stop it claiming compliance with Web
Accessibility standards - oh and it doesn't validate either -
politicians hey - promise one thing deliver another (or the same old
stuff)).

Unfortunately no one seems to have asked what is Microsoft's
contribution - but then there is the issue should the President be
accepting anything from an organisation that received the biggest fine
in the European's commissions history.

Whilst I may not like the UKIP, the EU is too unaccountable, and very
badly run, and the benefits attained are far less than the costs (even
if Microsoft shoulder some of them).

It's big bad government - and when pushed on what the EU has done for
us, the politicians on the last TV show I saw started muttering about
the lack of war in Europe in the last 50 years... No guys that is
attributable to a balance of terror in which Russia, France, and the UK
all held independent Nuclear deterrents, and war woud have been short
and utterly devastating. I don't remember much love lost over the period
between the Soviet Union and the EU, although I think we shipped them
some surplus food. Then there was Yugoslavia.....